Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hand-reading for Piano

Hi. =)

For a lot of people, playing piano is reading the score, and then hitting the right notes on the keyboard, with the right articulation, dynamics, expression and whatnot to make it sound wonderful. Well thats great, and produces great music... if only you had the score.

On the other hand, what a lot of people are fond of doing on Youtube is posting up transcriptions done by ear, without bothering to write out the piano score. While their transcriptions are great, the lack of reproducibility of results (... bio spa mugging still with me ...) makes it not as great...

Therefore, I shall try something new, which I call hand-reading.

What this does is simply looking at the video of some guy playing a piece, then writing out the score based on the notes he played and such. While this isn't too difficult (hopefully =/), it might take some time to fill in the whole music sheet, but it will probably be well worth it =)

So wait till I try this further xD
Maybe I can post some results (e.g. the post below this). Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment